BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE INSTITUTION
Healthy population and excellent healthcare. This is what Erasmus MC stands for. Conducting groundbreaking work, pushing boundaries, and leading the way in research, education, and healthcare. The entire spectrum of medical science converges here. The Erasmus MC is the largest Academic Hospital in The Netherlands. Erasmus MC is currently secretary to or associated with five research schools that have been accredited by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Science (KNAW). The Division of Geriatric Medicine, within the Department of Internal Medicine is a multidisciplinary patient care and research unit dedicated to the investigations of physiological and disease- associated aging in order to identify biomarkers of healthy aging.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE RELEVANT TO THE TASKS
Dr. Mattace Raso has several experiences on the field of aging. Major focus of the research of Dr. Mattace Raso is the study of cardiovascular aging and determinants of functional loss in the elderly.
Dr Mattace Raso and his research group participate several International research Projects:
- Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology (CHARGE Consortium) http://web.chargeconsortium.com/main/investigators
- European Network Cardiovascular Risk Extended Evaluation in Dialysis study patients, CREED study
- Multi-modal effects of Thyroid hormone Replacement for Untreated older adults with Subclinical hypothyroidism; a randomized placebo-controlled Trial (TRUST)
- European Network ‘MARE project: Metabolic syndrome and Arteries Research in Europe. European Network ‘The non Invasive Investigation of Large Arteries’
DESCRIPTION OF ANY SIGNIFICANT INFRASTRUCTURE AND/OR MAJOR ITEMS OF TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT
Major facilities include: Biomedical Imaging Lab, Chemical lab, Cardiovascular Research Unit.
SHORT PROFILE OF KEY STAFF MEMBERS
Francesco Mattace Raso: Dr. Mattace Raso is European leader on the field of Vascular Aging and its impact on cognitive and functional impairment in patients and populations. He leads a multidisciplinary research team of 15 people and has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers generating more than 3700 citations to date. He has held scientific positions on several research grants which generated patients- and population based studies.
Christian Oudshoorn: Dr. Oudshoorn is a Geriatrician particularly interested in muscle-skeletal aging and its consequences on functional impairment.
Rozemarijn van Bruchem: Dr. van Bruchem a Geriatrician particularly interested in the determinants of cognitive and functional impairment in the elderly.
Emma Massey: Dr. Massey is a psychologist working at the Nephrological Clinic. Here research interests include the investigation of the determinants of psychological wellbeing, medication adherence, self-management and self-regulation of patients with chronic illnesses.
LIST OF THE FIVE MOST RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS AND/OR PRODUCTS, SERVICES, OR OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS
- Arterial stiffness and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke: the Rotterdam Study. Circulation. 2006 Feb 7;113(5):657-63.
- Expert consensus document on the measurement of aortic stiffness in daily practice using carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity. J Hypertens. 2012 Mar;30(3):445-8.
- International Consortium for Blood Pressure Genome-Wide Association Studies, Genetic variants in novel pathways influence blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk. Nature. 2011 Sep 11;478(7367):103-9.
- Reference Values for Arterial Stiffness' Collaboration. Determinants of pulse wave velocity in healthy people and in the presence of cardiovascular risk factors: 'establishing normal and reference values'. Eur Heart J. 2010. Oct;31(19):2338-50.
- Genome-wide association study identifies six new loci influencing pulse pressure and mean arterial pressure. Nat Genet. 2011 Sep 11;43(10):1005-11.
LIST OF RELEVANT PREVIOUS PROJECTS OR ACTIVITIES
The Erasmus MC research team has previously participated in the following relevant projects:
- The Rotterdam study (large epidemiological study on determinants of disease in the elderly)
- GerontoNet, Network of Excellence of European Research Centers in the field of Geriatrics for multicenter scientific collaboration.
- Using Multidimensional Prognostic Indices (MPI) to improve cost-effectiveness of interventions in multimorbid frail older persons (EU Grant Agreement number 2013 12 02)